Untouched for over a century, the memorabilia box was recently removed by experts at Arlington National Cemetery, as part of the centennial commemoration of Memorial Amphitheater’s dedication. The group included myself, a conservator and facilities maintenance staff. We gathered in the basement of the Amphitheater to carefully open the copper box, whose contents included:
- - maps and plans of Washington D.C.
- - six coins (one of each cent)
- - uncirculated stamps with images of George Washington and Benjamin Franklin
- - an American flag (with 46 stars, although there were 48 states in 1915)
- - copies of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution
- - a Bible (signed by Thomas Hastings, architect of the amphitheater)
- - a signed photograph of President Woodrow Wilson
- - local newspapers (Washington Post, Washington Times, Washington Herald and The Evening Star)
- - an advance copy of the dedication ceremony program
- - a Congressional directory
- - Civil War veterans’ pamphlets
- - the Boyd’s Directory of the District of Columbia, an annual directory of city residents
Read more about the memorabilia box and what our historian found inside at our blog.