The primary mission of Arlington National Cemetery is to function as the nation's premier military cemetery and shrine, honoring those men and women who served in the armed forces. The cemetery remains active, with funeral services Monday through Saturday. We conduct 27 to 30 services each weekday, and six to eight services on Saturdays.
Funeral services are held: Monday through Friday, except federal holidays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., for placements and services for cremated remains that do not require military honors or military chaplain support. Services are not scheduled on Saturdays that precede a federal holiday on Monday. Family members and others attending a service should arrive at the cemetery approximately 45 minutes prior to the scheduled service time. Families will not be allowed entry into the cemetery earlier than one hour prior to the scheduled service.
To request or coordinate funeral services, please call 1-877-907-8585.
UPDATE: March 3, 2022
Effective March 3, 2022, based on new Department of Defense (DoD) guidance, Arlington National Cemetery (ANC) is no longer requiring face coverings to be worn indoors, due to low community levels of COVID-19. This applies to all service members, federal personnel, contractors and ANC visitors. ANC will continue to follow DoD guidance and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines as we monitor COVID-19 conditions and will provide updates to policies as required.
For funeral attendees, up to ten family members are allowed inside the Administration Building for coordination on the day of the funeral. Funeral attendance at services within the Old Post Chapel is limited to no more than 98 people.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Is my loved one eligible for burial or inurnment at Arlington National Cemetery?
• How do I schedule a service?
• How long is the wait time for a service? (Note: Due to COVID and other factors, the timeframe for scheduling funerals has increased. The timeframe for scheduling may take several more months than depicted on our fact sheet. Please contact our call center at 877-907-8585 for current wait times.)
• What documents are required?
• What happens at a typical service? What types of military funeral honors are available?
• Can I order a particular type of headstone?
• How can I find a grave or visit a loved one's gravesite?
• What are your policies on gravesite floral tributes and wreaths?
• Does Arlington National Cemetery provide transportation for funeral attendees?
Arlington National Cemetery (ANC), the Army National Military Cemeteries and the U.S. Army do not recommend, endorse or contract with any photographers, videographers, limousine, private coach services, florists or hotels for the purposes of providing those and related services to family members laying their loved ones to rest at Arlington National Cemetery. There is no official photographer, videographer, florist or bagpiper for families interring their loved one at ANC. If a person so represents themselves to you, they may be attempting to scam or mislead you. Finally, if an email address or website does not end in .mil, this person or company is not connected to ANC or the Army and may also be attempting to scam or mislead you. Please exercise great caution in choosing to conduct any business with such company or person(s).