The annual Easter Sunrise Service hosted by the Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall commander will be held April 5 in the Memorial Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery.
The non-denominational Christian worship service will begin with a prelude by The U. S. Army Band, "Pershing's Own" at 6:15 a.m. The service is scheduled to begin with a call to worship at 6:30 a.m. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
This year's Easter sermon will be delivered by U.S. Air Force Chaplain (Maj. Gen.) Howard Stendahl, chief of chaplains. An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be present.
Driving, there are two ways to access the event April 5, with gates opening at 5 a.m:
1. Enter Arlington National Cemetery and park at the cemetery's Parking Garage near the Welcome Center. Parking is free in the garage from 5:15 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. A free shuttle service will be available to transport all guests. There is NO walking to the amphitheater from the Welcome Center.
2. Enter Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall -- keep in mind that everyone is subject to search -- as follows:
--DoD ID card holders are encouraged to use Wright Gate on the Fort Myer portion of JBM-HH (Marshall Drive at Meade Street, off of Route 110) or Gate 1 (South Orme Street and Southgate Road) on the Henderson Hall portion of the joint base.
--Non-federally-affiliated visitors (those without a federal ID card) must enter Fort Myer via Hatfield Gate at Washington Boulevard and South 2nd Street. You will be directed to the search lane. Be sure to build in extra time for entry to Fort Myer.
A free shuttle service will provide transportation to the amphitheater beginning at 5:15 a.m. from both the Welcome Center and JBM-HH's Old Post Chapel Gate. Ample free parking is available in the Parking Garage at the cemetery, in the Fort Myer Old Post Chapel parking lot and in the portion of the Tri-Services parking lot flanked by the cemetery boundary wall and McNair Road.
All pedestrians may enter the cemetery from the Selfridge Gate on the Fort Myer portion of the joint base at the cemetery boundary wall across from Spates Community Club; there is ample parking in this lot.
Do's and Don'ts:
* Attendees may bring blankets and cushions to ease sitting on the cold stone benches in the amphitheater.
--Other authorized items --
* Diaper bags
* Plastic water bottles
* Cell phones
All hand-carried items are subject to search upon gaining access.
* For the safety and security of everyone and to maintain the dignity and solemnity of the Easter Sunrise Service, the amphitheater will be the only site for celebration (no independent activities outside the amphitheater during the service).
-- Other prohibited items --
* No weapons
* No backpacks or coolers
* No folding chairs
* No pyrotechnics
* No alcohol
* No pets (except certified service animals)
* No glass containers
For more information, call 703-696-6635.