Here are some important things to know for the Wreaths Across America cleanup day, Saturday, January 26, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event will occur regardless of the weather. Metro use is strongly encouraged due to limited parking. Information on the Metro system is available at: http://www.wmata.com/
Arlington National Cemetery’s Welcome Center will open at 7 a.m. for volunteers. Wreaths Across America leaders will brief volunteers on the cleanup plan at 8:45 a.m. at the Memorial Amphitheater. Visitors, including those with permanent passes, will not be permitted to drive to specific gravesites to visit loved ones until after the wreath cleanup at approximately 1 p.m. Volunteers should expect to stay until 1 p.m. to ensure the wreath cleanup is complete.
A map of the cemetery is available at: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/docs/ANC_Map.pdf
The ANC Welcome Center will open at 7 a.m. for volunteers but there will be no access to other locations within the cemetery until 8 a.m. There will be no vehicular access to the cemetery except through the gate to the parking garage until after the wreath cleanup at approximately 1 p.m.
Shuttle service will be available for a fee via ANC Tours by Martz.
Arlington will be accessible to pedestrians only from the following gates:
- Ord-Weitzel: south of the Netherlands Carillon and the Iwo Jima Memorial
- Main: Memorial Drive by the Women’s Memorial and Welcome Center entrance
- Service Complex: (south side) off Columbia Pike between the Air Force and Pentagon Memorials. This gate will close at 1 p.m.
- Fort Myer (northwest side, Fort Myer’s Old Post Chapel Gate) adjacent to the Old Post Chapel
- South Gate: Henderson Hall, Marine Corps Exchange/Service entrance. This gate will close at 1 p.m.
All vehicular access to the cemetery will be through the Welcome Center parking garage. Vehicular access into the cemetery will begin at 8 a.m. Family members with valid entry passes will enter the cemetery through the Welcome Center parking lot. Parking will be in designated areas only. Handicapped parking will be available in the Administrative Building parking lot.
Metro use is strongly encouraged due to limited parking. There are four Metro stops within a mile of a cemetery gate.
- Rosslyn: Orange & Blue lines (.7 mi) from Ord-Weitzel gate, via Iwo Jima Memorial
- Arlington Cemetery: Blue line - cemetery's primary Metro stop
- Pentagon: Yellow & Blue lines - (.7 mi) access through south Service Complex gate
- Pentagon City: Yellow & Blue lines - (.9 mi) access through south Service Complex gate
TIPS FOR THE CLEANUP:
• Wear gloves
• Bring a device to collect/hold multiple wreaths (such as a broom handle, rake, rope with a board tied to one end)
• Wear comfortable walking shoes
• Wear weather appropriate clothing