Important information for attending Wreaths Across America at Arlington National Cemetery
Here are some important things to know for attending the annual Wreaths Across America event, Saturday, December 15, 2012.
For information on volunteering, go to www.wreathsacrossamerica.org
A map of the cemetery is available at: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/docs/ANC_Map.pdf
There will be free parking in the visitor’s parking garage at Arlington from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (must exit the parking garage by 2 p.m.). There will also be parking at the Pentagon in the north and south parking lots. From the Pentagon, use the Pentagon Metro station to the Arlington Cemetery Metro station.
Family members with permanent parking passes will be allowed to access the cemetery as usual. No temporary passes will be issued from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Arlington will be accessible from the following gates:
- Ord-Weitzel (north side) south of the Netherlands Carillon and the Iwo Jima Memorial
- Main (east side) on Memorial Drive by the Women’s Memorial and Visitors Center entrance
- Visitors Center (east side) accessible on west side of Visitor’s Center
- Service Complex (south side) off Columbia Pike between the Air Force and Pentagon Memorials. This gate will close at 1 p.m.
- West (west side, Fort Myer’s Selfridge Gate), across from the Spates Community Club
- Fort Myer (northwest side, Fort Myer’s Old Post Chapel Gate) adjacent to the Old Post Chapel
Metro use is strongly encouraged due to limited parking and the high volume of traffic. There are four Metro stops within a mile of a cemetery gate.
- Rosslyn - Orange & Blue lines (.7 mi) from Ord-Weitzel gate, via Iwo Jima Memorial
- Arlington Cemetery - Blue line - cemetery's principal Metro stop
- Pentagon - Yellow & Blue lines - (.7 mi) access through south Service Complex gate
- Pentagon City - Yellow & Blue lines - (.9 mi) access through south Service Complex gate
8 a.m. Arlington National Cemetery gates open to public
8:15 a.m. Ceremonial Wreaths Across America Truck Parade arrives Arlington Main entrance (time approx)
9:30 a.m. Opening Ceremony (Memorial Amphitheater)
10 a.m. Wreath laying begins throughout the cemetery
11 a.m. Wreath laying ceremony at President Kennedy’s grave
11:30 a.m. Wreath laying ceremony at USS Maine Mast
Noon Wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns
2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7A, 8, 9, 10, 12, 18, 20, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 36, 37, 45, 47, 48, 52, 53, 54, 55, 59, 60, MA and MB