One hundred fifty years ago on Dec. 4, 1863, the federal government officially dedicated Freedman's Village, a model community for freed slaves, with a ceremony attended by members of Congress and other notables. Arlington Estate was selected as the site for Freedmen’s Village May 5, 1863 because of its location outside of Washington where camps were overcrowded and in poor condition. More than 1,100 freed slaves lived at Freedman’s VIllage where they farmed and lived during and after the Civil War. The village provided housing, education, employment training, medical care, and food. An 1865 plan of the village shows an organized community with over fifty residences, a hospital, a school, an “old people's home” and a laundry.