Personal appearance and dress of persons participating in ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknowns will adhere
to the dress standards expected of such dignified occasions. The minimum standard is business casual, defined as:
- For men: A combination of collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt), trousers
(such as khakis or blue, green, brown, or black trousers) with a belt and appropriate shoes.
A blazer or business jacket and tie can optionally be added.
- For women: A reasonable length skirt (knee length) or trousers of a non-denim material combined with a top that
covers the shoulders (such as a blouse, dress shirt, or sweater set) and appropriate shoes are considered acceptable.
An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable.
- School uniforms will be allowed as long as an adult official from the school confirms that the student’s attire is
in accordance with the school uniform policy.
The following attire is considered not appropriate for participation in the ceremonies:
- Blue Jeans / Denim Pants
- Ripped clothing
- Athletic Wear
- Patched Pants
- Shorts of any kind (except when part of an established uniform, e.g. School Uniforms, Scout Uniforms, Foreign Military Uniforms, and period Military Uniforms)
- Tee Shirts
- Tank Tops
- Halter Tops
- Underwear as outerwear
- Shirts that expose the midriff
- Open toed shoes (nice sandals [not shower type shoes or flip-flops] during warmer months for women is appropriate)
The Executive Director, Army National Cemeteries Program, or designated representatives, the Sergeant of the Guard,
and Relief Commanders have the authority to prohibit a person in non appropriate attire from participating in a
wreath ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns.